And so, 2021 draws to a close – and what a year it was for the McGill Reporter. As of December 30, the Reporter has had over 620,000 Page Views for 2021, the second-highest yearly total since we went completely online in 2012. Last year, driven by a plethora of COVID-19 articles and updates, the Reporter racked up a whopping 810,000 Page Views.
As is the case most years, the year’s most popular articles were rankings stories. McGillians love a good ranking story. And why not? The University is regularly ranked among the world’s best institutions of higher learning. Four of the top five most popular Reporter articles were ranking stories.
The most popular of all articles was QS Global University Rankings by Subject. Published on March 3, the article had over 32,000 Page Views. The most clicked on non-rankings story was our May 20 piece announcing Dr. Anthony Fauci as the 2021 Beatty lecturer. That article drew over 11,000 readers and was the fourth most read.
Readers from around the world
Befitting a university with the global reach of McGill, the Reporter attracted readers from around the world. In all, people clicked on Reporter articles from 220 different countries and territories.
Not surprisingly, the majority of our 377,000 readers, read Reporter articles from Canada. The top five was rounded out by readers logging in from the U.S., the U.K., France and India.
On the other end of the spectrum, the Reporter attracted single-page views from such exotic places as Kiribati, Palau, Vanuatu, Guinea-Bissau and the Åland Islands.
Looking back, we’ve compiled the top three stories for every month of 2021. And, with 2021 winding down, we want to take this time to wish our readers health, happiness and love in 2022.
- Two McGill-led brain cancer studies among top 10 discoveries in Quebec for 2020
- The future of shopping is here: McGill launches frictionless laboratory store
- COVID-19 Q&A: Samuel Veissière on the epidemiology of conspiracy theories
- McGill named one of Montreal’s top employers
- McCall MacBain Scholarships announce 50 finalists
- School of Continuing Studies student gives Zoom presentation to her translation class from her hospital bed 35 hours after giving birth
- McGill earns top marks in global rankings by subject
- Happy 200th, McGill
- $110M for nine innovative McGill research projects
- Deputy Provost outlines most “realistic” scenario for Fall 2021 semester
- McCall MacBain Scholars announces inaugural cohort
- Dobson Centre surpasses $1-billion milestone in startup seed funding
- Dr. Anthony Fauci announced as 2021 Beatty lecturer
- Biology professor awarded $1M to study bird flight
- Geography honours grad awarded prestigious Gates Cambridge Scholarship
- McGill breaks Top 30 in global university rankings
- Mahmud Jamal becomes first person of colour to be nominated to the Supreme Court of Canada
- Victoria Kaspi named co-winner of the 2021 Shaw Prize in Astronomy
- Top scholarships for McGill postdocs and grad students
- New Chancellor wants to help students flourish
- Provost awards 27 McGill professors with distinguished rank
- McGill climbs prestigious global university rankings
- A behind-the-scenes look at what it takes to plan and implement Frosh
- McGill launches Canadian Election Misinformation Project
- Times Higher Education rates McGill as 44th best university in the world
- Twenty-six McGillians elected to Canada’s 44th Parliament
- The New Vic: Saving the planet by breaking down silos
- McGill best university in Canada: Maclean’s Magazine
- Meet McGill’s newest Loran Scholars
- Spreading of misinformation makes for ‘worst possible environment’ for COVID-19 pandemic, says Fauci during Beatty Lecture
- U.S. News ranks McGill among world’s top universities
- 14 McGill investigators on Highly Cited Researchers 2021 list
- New Models of Work Project Office launches pilot project