The Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings 2023 rates McGill as the 46th best university in the world. It marks the 13th consecutive year that McGill ranks in the top 50 universities globally.
The rankings were published online on October 11. A record number of 1,799 universities from 104 countries and regions are included in the World Rankings this year – 137 more than last year – making it the largest edition in the 19-year history of the rankings.
The THE World University Rankings provide a rigorous overview of a university’s quality, drawing on an analysis of 15.5 million research publications and 121 million citations to those publications, plus over 40,000 responses to an annual academic reputation survey and hundreds of thousands of additional data points covering a university’s teaching environment, international outlook and industry links. Institutions are measured across 13 separate performance metrics, providing a comprehensive picture of excellence among world-class research universities.
The 13 key performance indicators grouped into five thematic areas:
- Teaching (the learning environment)
- Research (volume, income and reputation)
- Citations (research influence)
- Industry income (knowledge transfer)
- International outlook (staff, students and research)
The University of Oxford topped all universities for the seventh year in a row, finishing ahead of Harvard, University of Cambridge (tie), Stanford (tie), and MIT, in that order. McGill is one of three Canadian universities ranked among the top 50 in the world. In all, Canada has seven universities ranked in the top 200.
Sustained rankings success
McGill has enjoyed significant rankings success in 2022, as demonstrated in the list below:
- October: Maclean’s Magazine ranks McGill Canada’s top Medical Doctoral university for 18th straight year
- October: McGill’s Master of Management in Analytics program is named 10th best Business Analytics program in the world in the QS Business Masters Rankings 2023.
- September: McGill rates in the top 10 in three categories in the 2021 Sustainable Campus Index, an AASHE publication.
- August: McGill ranks 73rd out of 2,500 universities worldwide by the Academic Ranking of World Universities.
- July: Five subjects taught at McGill rank in the global top 50 – and 23 rank in the top 100 – according to the Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2022.
- June: McGill rates as Canada’s best university and 31st in the world by the QS World University Rankings.
- May: THE’s Impact Rankings rates the University in the global top 20 in research on climate change, use of energy, and preparations for dealing with the consequences of climate change.
- April: QS Rankings by Subject rates 32 subjects taught at McGill in the global top 50.
- April: McGill named one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for the fifth straight year by Mediacorp Canada.
- January: THE ranks McGill as the 28th most international university in the world.
Consult the THE World University Rankings 2023.