McGill remains among the world’s top universities according to the Time Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings released on September 27. THE’s annual rankings rates McGill at 49th globally, marking the 14th consecutive year the University has been in the top 50 worldwide.
This is the most rigorous and wide-reaching edition in the 20-year history of the THE World University Rankings. A record 1,904 universities from across 108 countries and regions were included in this year’s list. The ranking analysed more than 134 million citations across 16.5 million research publications and included survey responses from 68,402 scholars globally.
THE updated its methodology, measuring institutions across 18 performance indicators – up from 13 in 2022. These performance indicators are grouped into the following five areas:
- Teaching (the learning environment);
- Research environment (volume, income, and reputation);
- Research quality (citation impact, research strength, research excellence, and research influence);
- International outlook (staff, students, and research);
- Industry (income and patents).
While McGill slipped to 49th overall from 46th last year, the University’s scores improved in four of five areas including teaching, industry, research quality, and international outlook. The University’s score for research environment this year was virtually tied with the previous year.
McGill has enjoyed a fair degree of rankings success in 2023, with strong showings in the following rankings:
- In August, the University moved up in the Academic Ranking of World Universities
- In June, McGill improved its position in the QS World University Rankings
- In May, McGill climbed to 26th in the Center for World University Ranking’s annual Global 2000 Rankings.
- In March, McGill had three subjects ranked in the global Top 10 and 28 in the top 50, in the QS World University Rankings by Subject.
- In January, McGill placed 29th in the world and first in Canada in the Times Higher Education’s Most International Universities in the World.
Consult the Time Higher Education World University Rankings