Property damage is extensive, cow’s winter feed destroyed
By Neale McDevitt
The normally bucolic scene at McGill’s Macdonald Campus Farm was disrupted early this morning when a fire broke out in the feed storage area adjacent to the dairy barn, home to some 135 dairy cows. Although property damage is extensive, no people or animals were harmed, thanks largely to the timely actions of Farm employees and a group of student lumberjacks who pitched in to lead the spooked cows to safety.
At approximately 5:40 a.m., a fire broke out in the feed storage area. Because of the vast quantities of dry hay and straw in the facility, the fire spread rapidly.
“It could have been a lot worse, but our quick-thinking employee, Martin Chaumont, closed the fire doors between the feed storage area and the actual dairy barn,” said Paul Meldrum, manager of the Macdonald Campus Farm. “[Chaumont] tried to put the fire out but it spread too quickly, so he called the fire department and had the staff leave the barn.”
Some 60 firefighters arrived on the scene to battle the blaze. Once it was determined it was safe to enter the dairy barn, employees were allowed in to escort the cows to nearby fields where they were given water and food.
By this time, members of the Mac Campus Woodsmen team had also shown up to help, having seen the flames from the nearby Morgan Arboretum where the team was holding its regular 6 a.m. practice.
Michael Breault, a Farm Management and Technology student, was one of the lumberjacks who pitched in. “There was some smoke and a lot of people rushing around. The cows aren’t used to that, so they were a little panicky,” said Breault, noting that most of the woodsmen are farmers who are used to working with cows. “I don’t think firemen have much experience with cows,” he said, “so I think it was a good thing we were here.”
Chandra Madramootoo, Dean of the Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, said it will take hours, perhaps even days, to bring the situation under complete control, thanking everyone who responded so quickly to keep a bad situation from getting much worse.
“I want to pay a very special tribute to our FMT students who were already moving the animals from the barn when the fire commenced, and they continue to care for and feed the animals at this time,” said Madramootoo. “Let me also thank our Farm, Facilities and Security personnel who have been of immense help since the fire started. Residents and elected officials of our neighbouring communities were on the scene as quickly as possible, helping in all possible ways. My heartfelt thanks to everyone.”
As firefighters tried to contain the blaze, farm employees manned an excavator and several backhoes to help clear smouldering debris. Meldrum said the massive storage area where the fire originated is a total loss, as is at least one of the nine silos standing nearby.
“We still have to assess each silo and see if there are fires burning inside them,” said Meldrum. “At least one will have to be torn down and possibly more. At this point I can’t even hazard a guess as to how much damage has been done, but it will be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.”
Meldrum’s immediate concern is the cows. “The first priority is to get the cows back in the barn but we need to assess the barn to make sure that is possible. Cows are tough but we want to get them in before the weather gets nasty,” he said. “Then we have to assess what we have left in terms of feed because we’ve lost a lot of the winter feed. These cows consume a lot so we have to make sure they are properly fed.
“But we belong to a good farm community and we’ve already had people phone us asking if we need feed or help moving cows, or if we need another barn… It’s a typical farm community – they come together very quickly.
“It’s been a tough day but it could have been a lot worse,” said Meldrum.
So happy everyone is okay.
Always the gentleman, Paul Meldrum, Manager of the Macdonald Campus Farm, congratulated staff and students for their quick response. Paul deserves commendations for the leadership he exercises over farm operations and his dedication to the welfare of the animals. Paul will have busy and difficult days and weeks ahead of him, but I trust he will rise to the challenge.
Happy that no people or animals were hurt. Wonder what caused the fire.
Glad to hear no people/cows were harmed– and hope that insurance covers the damage fully. Quite a blow to Mac but the response was reflective of the resilience, camaraderie and work ethic of those in the community! Let alums know if we can be of any financial help in rebuilding and restocking.
A college where Dr. Mosley invented DHAS–VAlACTA; where Dr.Baker introduced “embryo transplant”; and where Dr.Block gave “D.C.A.D.” To the world! Will surely once again become a “World Leader” in dairy research with “World class” dairy facilities rising from the ashes!
“The road to success is usually a little bumpy” Paul and ALL the faculty; we’re here to “cheer you on” and help any little way we can.
Chris Judd (pres. QFA)
Good to hear that nobody was hurt, the farm might have little tough time ahead with the winter feed destroyed. Any details of what actually caused the fire? Dairy farming where large number of animals are involved requires additional safety measures and adequate staff.