Today, the Honourable François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of Innovation, Science, and Industry made the announcement of more than $102 million for science, research, and engineering in support of 119 new and renewed Canada Research Chairs at 35 Canadian research institutions— nine at McGill. With the addition of this newest cohort, McGill currently has 182 active chairholders (Tier 1 and Tier 2).
The three new and six renewed chairs awarded to McGill will fund critical research in a variety of areas, including the development of novel vaccines, the neural basis of cognitive impairments in disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease, and the prevention of radicalization leading to violence.
“It’s always a privilege in my role to recognize the talent of McGill researchers among our faculty,” said Christopher Manfredi, Provost and Vice-Principal (Academic). “I extend my heartfelt congratulations to our new and renewed Canada Research Chairs and look forward to seeing the fruits and impact of their scholarship in the years to come.”
The CRCP is driving a national effort to make Canada one of the world’s top countries for research and development. To achieve this objective they fund research chairs, – experts in their fields—a strategy which both attracts top talent to Canada and helps to retain this diverse cadre of world-class researchers in the country.
There are two types of Canada Research Chairs. Tier 1 Chairs, awarded to outstanding researchers acknowledged by their peers as world leaders in their fields, are valued at $200,000 annually for seven years with one opportunity for renewal. Tier 2 Chairs, valued at $100,000 annually for five years and renewable only once, are for exceptional emerging researchers, acknowledged by their peers as having the potential to lead in their field.
McGill’s 2021-1 round of CRC recipients:
- Gabriella Gobbi, Canada Research Chair in Therapeutics for Mental Health, CIHR, Tier 1 (New)
- Amine Kamen, Canada Research Chair in Bioprocessing of Viral Vectors and Vaccines, NSERC, Tier 1 (Renewal)
- Sarah Kimmins, Canada Research Chair in Epigenomics, Reproduction and Development, CIHR, Tier 1 (New)
- Corrine Maurice, Canada Research Chair in Gut Microbial Physiology, CIHR, Tier 2 (Renewal)
- Alexandre Orthwein, Canada Research Chair in Genome Stability and Hematological Malignancies, CIHR, Tier 2 (Renewal)
- Madhukar Pai, Canada Research Chair in Epidemiology and Global Health, CIHR, Tier 1 (Renewal)
- Adrien Peyrache, Canada Research Chair in Systems Neuroscience, CIHR, Tier 2 (Renewal)
- Cécile Rousseau, Canada Research Chair in Preventing Violent Radicalization, SSHRC, Tier 1 (New)
- Signy Sheldon, Canada Research Chair in Cognitive Neuroscience of Memory, CIHR, Tier 2 (Renewal)